What’s in a Glass of Milk? – Celebrating National Milk Day

Happy National Milk Day!! I’m SO excited to not only celebrate an industry I work very closely with daily, but also to bring you a post from one of my absolute favorite bloggers. Krista, the talent behind The Farmer’s Wifee so graciously agreed to share some valuable information on what you will and will not find in a single glass of milk. She breaks down the nutrition facts but also quells any fears you may have about what’s in your milk.

A fun fact about Krista… she didn’t grow up on a farm! Yep, you read that correctly. Her and her husband own their farm that they started from the ground up in 2009. They currently milk about 200 cows and are raising their four children on the farm.


Calcium (30% DV*) – Calcium helps build and maintain strong bones and teeth. It also plays an important role in nerve function, muscle contraction and blood clotting.

Potassium (11% DV) – Potassium regulates the body’s fluid balance, helps maintain normal blood pressure and is needed for muscle activity and contraction.

Phosphorus (20% DV) – Phosphorus strengthens bones and generates energy in the body’s cells.

Protein (16% DV) – Protein builds and repairs muscle tissue and serves as a source of energy during high-powered endurance exercise.

Vitamin A (10% DV) – Vitamin A helps maintain normal vision and skin, helps regulate cell growth and maintains the integrity of the immune system.

Vitamin D (25% DV) – Vitamin D helps promote the absorption of calcium and enhances bone mineralization.

Vitamin B12 (13% DV) – Vitamin B12 helps build red blood cells that carry oxygen from the lungs to working muscles.

Riboflavin (24% DV) – Riboflavin, or vitamin B2, helps convert food into energy – a process critical for exercising muscles.

Niacin (10% DV) – Niacin (or niacin equivalent) is important for the normal function of many enzymes in the body and is involved in the metabolism of sugars and fatty acids. Source: http://bit.ly/2mr8YHw 

What’s NOT in a glass of milk?

Pus- Read more here: http://bit.ly/2o9MTRm

Antibiotics & Painkillers- Read more here: http://bit.ly/1XL7vsz

Blood, Feces, Bacteria & Pathogens- Read more here: http://bit.ly/2bzq3wI

What you should know about milk:

Approximately 80 percent of the protein in milk is casein protein, while the other 20 percent is whey protein. This is not a bad thing. Read more here: http://bit.ly/29nhPF7

Hormones are naturally occurring in all milk- Read more here: http://bit.ly/2ngaHxV

The naturally occurring hormones in milk do not cause early puberty- Read more here: http://bit.ly/2nu3qfV

Dairy farmers are committed to the care of their cows and providing others with a safe, healthy and affordable products. We feed our families the same products we provide for yours. Have questions about how dairy farming works? Ask a dairy farmer.

Huge thanks to Krista for sharing her knowledge and lifestyle with us. Still have questions? Let us know in the comments. We’d be thrilled to answer them for you!

Make sure you click the links here to follow Krista and the cows on social media!

Instagram: @thefarmerswifee (https://www.instagram.com/thefarmerswifee/)

Twitter: @thefarmerswifee

Pinterest: @thefarmerswifee

Facebook: The Farmers Wifee (https://www.facebook.com/StaufferDairy/)

Cheers to a fresh glass of milk on National Milk Day!